Thursday, February 21, 2008

Lunar Eclipse

Lots to tell you about, but little time to write. Perhaps this weekend I can fill you in on screening, etc. Last night I dragged myself out of bed to watch the total lunar eclipse. While it was prime time viewing in the US, here in Monrovia, totality started at 0301, which meant it interfered with prime sleeping time. Earlier in the evening I had checked out a NASA website that provided details of 7000 years of eclipses. While standing on Deck 8, I couldn't help but marvel at the wonder of how God set everything in motion and they continue predictably today so that someone with a computer program can tell when eclipses occured in the past and will occur over the next three millennia. The writer of Hebrews says that through his Son, Jesus Christ, God made all things and the Son holds all things together by his word.

I also considered the words of Psalm 19, "God's glory is on tour in the skies, God-craft on exhibit across the horizon." (The Message) I hadn't remembered these later verses, but I think they will be my prayer each day: "Clean the slate, God, so we can start the day fresh! Keep me from stupid sins, from thinking I can take over your work." It's so easy to get caught up in the busy-ness of the days, I must often remind myself that I can't take over his work. I'm glad he wipes the slate clean and offers a new beginning each day.

I tried to get photos, but clouds moved in and there were only brief windows of clear sky. I haven't even downloaded the few I took to see if they turned out. Mostly I just enjoyed the wonder of the night and the reminder of God's steadfast presence.

President George W. Bush visited Monrovia today, so many of the streets were closed to traffic. We knew about this in advance, so we kept our eye patients overnight last night. Usually they arrive the morning of surgery, but we didn't want to take any chances with delays.

Liberian President Ellen Johnson-Sirleaf came to the ship Tuesday afternoon and greeted the crew. She is the kind of woman one could put their confidence in as president. She has taken a stand against corruption and is making a difference in her nation.

1 comment:

Alberta Wray said...

I want to see a photo so I can comment on what a great camera you have!!! ;) (but seriously, it'd be fun to see one of your photos). I need to get a tripod! My pics turned out lousy because of not having one.